Friday, May 1, 2015

All things green!

Ever since the snow melted, I have been waiting, impatiently biding my time, until we could plant our garden. The ground thawed, the weather started getting nicer and then......rain. And a lot of it. The grass was turning wonderful shades of green, flowers were blooming, the trees were finally starting to bud and yet I was frustrated! I had been planing for months (yes actual months). I had mapped out our garden several times, making sure that we had space for everything. I had revised our list of veggies from the first draft: "plant all the things!" to something a bit more realistic, for example - food we actually eat, and there it sat waiting for both the ground to dry out and a free time slot in our schedule. The longer it took for those two requirements to coincide the more concerned I became. What if we were too late? What if all of our plans were ruined? What if we missed our chance?

And yes I understand that this is way more drama than is necessary for gardening, but I feel like I do this with other things as well. There is a goal, a plan, something good is going to happen, but wait! Roadblock, detour, something unexpected, timeline gets delayed. Maybe for a week, or a month, or even worse - indefinitely. That's when it starts. What if it never happens? What if we missed our chance? What if all our plans are ruined? What if we were wrong?  

What does it all boil down to? Trust. If I trust God, a delay in my timeline is no big deal. If I trust God, my plans can be ruined and life can still be wonderful. If I trust God, what I want could never happen and I can still live a life greater than I could ever dream. Because one thing I know is this: God's plans will be accomplished and more specifically, in His timing (which is usually not mine). He doesn't fit in the box of human thoughts and schedules. His plans don't have an expiration date. And when we are truly seeking Him we can be wrong and He will still work everything together for our good and for His glory. When I trust Him all of the "what ifs" become irrelevant.

I feel as though I have been learning this trust lesson my entire life and I don't think it will stop anytime soon. You know what I love about it? That God in all of His greatness and majesty, reaches down into my life to connect with me. He could get frustrated, angry. He could throw all of the times He has been faithful in my face and demand that I trust Him, but instead He responds with compassion and tenderness every single time. He waits patiently for me to open my hands and willingly relinquish what is important to me, as insignificant as it may be, and that speaks love to me.

And yes we were finally able to start planting our garden. On one of the most beautiful evenings this spring. God is so good.







Keep Dreaming!

4 comments:

  1. Yes!!!!!! We are working on ours this weekend!!!! I can't wait!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our little plot was tilled today. Can't wait to have our first official garden!

    Also, why is trusting SO hard? Even after experiencing His faithfulness all the time, it can still be so difficult. I'm with you.. It's a lifelong lesson. And I'm incredibly grateful for His love and compassion in the midst of my lack of trust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exciting! I'm glad to hear that it's not just me. ;)

      Delete